Police take over APGA secretariat as suspended chairman resurfaces

Security was on Friday beefed up at the Anambra office of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) following the confusion over its chairmanship. The confusion came off a meeting attended by 17 of the 28-member State Working Committee (SWC) of the party which allegedly suspended the chairman, Chief Nobert Obi.

The committee also announced the Deputy Chairman of the party in Anambra Central, Mr Tony Omeligwe-Elee, as the acting chairman. The members referred Obi to the relevant disciplinary committee set up in line with the constitution of the party for determination of his alleged offences and immediate action. However, that Obi later stormed the secretariat amidst significant deployment of police men.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Sam Okaula, said the police were there to forestall the breakdown of law and order. Okaula said the police were not at the premises to enforce the any order but to ensure that everyone was protected and safe.

We got a report that there were issues and a likely breakdown of public peace so we have to go and ensure that the place is safe.

There is no order being enforced; we are not there to protect anybody but to give a sense of security to everyone,  he said.

No fewer than 12 Hilux loads of policemen were deployed to the premises.

Meanwhile, the embattled chairman, Obi, told journalists at the secretariat that he remained the chairman of the party. He said he had not breached any law of the party and urged its members to remain calm.

Similarly, the Vice Chairman of the Anambra South zone of the party, Chief Titus Anigbogu, said the meeting where the suspension was carried out was illegal as only the state chairman had the right to convene meetings. Anigbogu said Obi remained the chairman of the party as his tenure had not elapsed, adding that the in-house disagreement would be resolved as a family.

Related posts

Leave a Comment